It’s official! Summer is over and fall is off to a running start. With the kids safely back at school and Labor Day quickly disappearing in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward to cooler weather, falling leaves, and a busy season of preparing for the family gatherings of the holidays.
Will you be ready this year? There’s nothing more rewarding than making a grand statement and impressing your friends and family with a beautifully appointed home and a memorable holiday feast. But pulling off an extraordinary holiday season is easier said than done.
The kitchen is the key to any successful gathering, and every event of the holiday season revolves around the kitchen. Right now—at the end of summer and just before the rush to the holiday season begins in earnest—is the perfect time to make sure your kitchen is up to the task and can deliver a grand and memorable holiday season for you and your family. Do you have a space that will empower you to make it a reality? If not, what do you need to change in order to be at your best this year?
Questions to ask before a kitchen renovation project:
- Is my kitchen a good reflection of me? Is it a perfect fit for how I like to cook and entertain?
- What’s not working for me now?
- Does my kitchen have enough space for storage, prep work, and cooking for a full holiday meal?
- Is my kitchen organized? How hard is it to find all the cooking elements, tools, and materials I need?
- Do I have areas in my kitchen that I’ve lost track of? Do I know where everything is?
- How do I feel when I am in the kitchen cooking? Am I isolated from my family or guests?
- Do I enjoy entertaining but choose not to because I’m embarrassed to have family and friends over?
- Is cooking and entertaining fun and easy?
Based on your answers to these questions, you should consider meeting with your home renovation professional to help you plan and design your next kitchen based on your personal needs.
The Kitchen Renovation Process
A kitchen renovation project is a big deal; it’s the second biggest home-related expense, second only to buying your home.
The right professional will have the necessary knowledge to guide you in creating the ideal space for your investment dollars. Kitchen renovation is an important undertaking that can define the way you live your life in your home. It’s a lot more than just color and countertops.
Things to consider first
- How can the kitchen be laid out to optimize the space, create flow, and cater to your needs? The right layout can make a huge difference and overcome the challenges of a small and isolated space.
- Considerations of a working triangle.
- Storage area, prep area, and cooking area.
- Optimal locations for various elements.
- Organizational systems:
- Are you able to reach everything you need effortlessly?
- Will you be able to reach things easily in ten years?
- Are there challenging spaces in your kitchen that you simply do not know how to use?
- How organized is your pantry?
- Is the kitchen a good reflection of you and your family values?
- Are you happy with the construction of your cabinets?
- Are you happy with the style and finish of your cabinets?
- What countertop options would be best for your family and how you live?
- What appliances will meet your cooking needs?
- How long are the appliances built to last?
- What style and color scheme will work best for your home?
The final, and perhaps most important question, is this: How can I be certain that I won’t regret the decisions I’m making now in a year or two?
Given the expense of kitchen renovation, its impact on your quality of life, and the importance that the choices you make now will hold up over time, you should consider hiring a professional you can trust to guide you through the process of doing it right the first time. You do not know what you do not know until it’s too late, when redoing it will cost more than twice as much as the original plan. The right professional will put you, your goals, and the final outcome of your space first. If your budget is not enough to make a significant difference, they will know how to advise you on what’s possible now, or if it’s best to wait until your budget allows you to do it right the first time.
To your health and happiness, and a long life to enjoy it.
Have any questions about this article? We’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to reach out!