When approaching a new home renovation project, it’s important to decide how much of a change are you really wanting to make. Are you looking to revitalize a critical space in your home with new colors and updated finishes? Or are there more critical issues that are wrong with your current space, for instance, the layout is not well suited for the way you live, do you lack enough working space for prep work or just simply better built cabinets with better organizational systems? This would be considered an UPGRADE.
These are the important questions you should consider when trying to make a decision to renovate. One of these will be a simple UPDATE of finishes and colors, while the other is more critical to add better quality products in a better layout that would work better for you and your family. This option would be considered an UPGRADE. Choosing one or the other will help you determine the scope of any project and is extremely useful in narrowing down a budget range.
Since the Update versus Upgrade question is common in kitchen renovations, we’ll use the kitchen in our examples below.
Kitchen and Breakfast Room UPDATE
If you are mostly happy with your kitchen–the overall layout is workable, the space flows well, the cabinets and storage spaces are decent, etc.– but the style is outdated, the lighting leaves something to be desired, the fixtures and appliances are aging, and something just isn’t quite right, then an update is probably the right solution for you. This is also true if you don’t plan on living in the house for more than five years or have a limited budget.
An update is great for revitalizing and renewing your space. Here’s a quick checklist for simple but effective improvements you may want to consider when updating:
- Refinish cabinets and replace hardware (e.g. handles, hinges, etc).
- Install a new countertop. Depending on the style, a nice, solid quartz slab or granite might become the jewel of your space.
- Remake your backsplash with new materials and design.
- Enhance your sink and faucet with new style, functionality, or quality (quality is always key when water is involved).
- Redo the wall and ceiling finishes, especially if you still have popcorn ceiling texture in your home.
- Pull up your old flooring and add something new and stylish, that is easy to clean and a joy to walk on.
- Bring in new lighting fixtures or add new sources of light–including general, task, and decorative lighting. Proper lighting design can make a huge impact on how you feel in your space, not to mention your overall mood!
Kitchen and Breakfast Room UPGRADE
If you love your home, your neighborhood, and if this is a home where you and your family would like to live for 10 or more years, however, there a few areas that are just not working well for your family, then an UPGRADE would be a perfect solution for you. The kitchens is often a major focal point, and will always provide a return on investment when properly renovated. They are also the heart and soul of the home–a place where we come together with our families and spend time every day. To upgrade your kitchen, here is a list of things you should consider before embarking on your next remodeling journey.
- What is the ideal layout for the way your family uses the space? How does your family like to use the kitchen and breakfast room?
- Do you have enough space to significantly alter the floor plan, or will you run into other areas, like the living room or garage?
- Will an open concept floor plan with a large island be right for you? Or do you prefer a bit more privacy when you are cooking?
- Are the cabinets built with quality material that are designed to last?
- Do the cabinets need better organization and planning for the way you cook and prep your meals?
- Does your kitchen support the concept of “aging in place” and multiple generations using the space?
- What’s the ideal layout for the best working triangle?
- Do you frequently entertain, or would you like to do so more? How does the kitchen accommodate guests?
- Are the appliances built with the latest technology with steam and convection cooking? Is this something that’s important to you?
- Do you need better lighting?
- Does the kitchen reflect your personal style and the style of your home?
With over 2 decades of experience, we at Euro Design Build have created a process that is designed to help you figure out the ideal choice for you. We are proud to offer the highest level of craftsmanship and design quality whether you want an update or an upgrade. Give us a call, and we can help you figure out which one is right for you!
Melinda Dzinic, CR, CKBT, UDCP