Every space in every home has its own special story. The following is the tale of a beautiful, multi-purpose kitchen in McKinney, TX.
The clients came to Euro Design Build with a strong desire to simplify, declutter, and organize their cooking space and breakfast room, and transform it into a modern Mediterranean kitchen. The room served many purposes throughout the day, including as an office. The oversized dining room table took the place of a desk, and the kitchen base cabinets served as file storage. The client’s college-aged son used the room to study and take online courses, which proved to be a major inconvenience when dinner time rolled around and the space would have to transform back into a cooking area and dining room.
The clients decided it was time to take control of their environment and make the space work better for their busy family. Euro Design Build started on the project, but an obstacle presented itself right off the bat: the homeowner had already purchased all new kitchen appliances.
While appliances are a critical component of any kitchen, they generally come in a little later in the process, once the overall design is complete. As the purchases were non-refundable, we faced some interesting design challenges in making the space work to fit the clients’ vision.
- Create an open space that’s ideal for entertaining.
- Add a much larger, eat-in island.
- Integrate appliances the client had already purchased online into the new kitchen layout and design.
- Declutter the space and create more room for storage.
- Include a home office area with work surface and file storage .
- Include a bar for a pre-purchased wine unit.
- Add a proper breakfast room with a breakfast table.
- Create a better organized pantry.
- Build custom cabinetry with enough space to house large pots, pans, small kitchen appliances, spices, several sets of dishes, and an area for barware.
- Produce a Mediterranean style and feel with clean lines.
EASY? Not at all.
- Open the space between the kitchen and family room by omitting a large corner pantry, thereby ensuring a layout suitable for entertaining. To do so, we installed a 25’ LVL Beam to support the second-floor structure.
- Custom-build hand-finished faux ceiling beams and install over existing LVL beam.
- Add storage in ideal locations for all the necessities of a well-stocked, well-organized kitchen. Add pull-out pantry, food prep area, cooking and eating area, as well the office desk and pullout filing drawers.
- Custom-build cabinets, to custom sizes, with solid box construction in ¾” clear maple plywood, clear maple hardwood doors, drawer fronts, and dovetailed drawer boxes with Blum bottom-mounted, full-extension glides.
- Add full extension corner optimizer.
- Install a 10’ t kitchen island, custom-finished in Euro Tuscan water based stained finish, Blumotion trash drawer, 36” farmhouse sink, 24” triple drawers, and custom bookcase.
- Install a dedicated liquor bar, wine cooler, and glass door cabinet for barware storage.
- Add a dedicated office desk and 4 full filing cabinet drawers.
- Install an Audix 3cm granite countertop.
- Intall limestone backsplash.
- Install Versailles Pattern limestone floor tiles that transition well into the existing hardwood flooring.
The transformation was complete! Our client was thrilled to have turned their 80s builder-grade kitchen into an updated, well-appointed Transitional–Mediterranean kitchen.