For all of us, there is certainly an ideal when it comes to our homes. From childhood, many of us have pictured aging gracefully in a beautiful home with a green lawn where children and grandchildren can run and play. When entering the home, there are also many things we would like to see. Of course, each situation is different but achieving the ideal is not an unreachable star. It is something attainable, but the major question is when such home renovations can be made.
The first signs of a home remodel need whether it be in the bathroom, kitchen, or another space, are typically those that can be easily seen. Some such obvious signs include the following:
- Floor detachment or wear. The detachment of flooring means that the tile grouting is wearing and needs to be replaced. The most common rooms that need new floors are bathrooms and kitchens.
- Feeling of overcrowdedness or emptiness. If a space feels crowded or cramped, this most likely a reflection of the overall layout of the room. Though some of this can be remedied with redecoration, a home renovation may be warranted to add a new dimension to your room.
- Chipped or fading paint. It’s amazing the difference a subtle change in color can make. Whether walls and paint are damaged, or if they are just due for a change, colors are an important element to consider.
- Feeling outdated. Your intuition is valuable. If you feel your space is well in the past, then you are probably right. Listen to your mind and heart and plan changes accordingly.
- Kitchen and bathrooms in constant need of touch up or repair. When sinks are leaking, tiles are cracking, and counters are staining, it is certainly time to consider making changes.
Although aesthetics are important, perhaps the most important considerations to be made are those that affect your safety and comfort well into the future. Such things take universal design into consideration and include:
- Features and Technology. The incorporation of elements such as automatic water and lighting can play an important role in promoting safety as you age in your home or of young children as well. They can also serve as enhancements for anyone to enjoy.
- Lighting. Strategic lighting aids those who have limited vision. For late light trips away from the bed, automatic floor lighting can prevent trips and falls. Overhead lighting is important, but front-facing lighting is important to properly illuminate your face when getting ready. Task lighting is critical in the kitchen when prepping food or in the office when doing your best.
- Overall accessibility. Changes in cabinets are one of the more critical elements for aging in place. Simply adding drawers in all your base cabinetry whether that’s in the kitchen or bathroom will help you reach for the things you use most often. In a bathroom, bathtubs, or zero threshold showers, and other major components of a room can provide tremendous benefit not only to aesthetics but to your ease of use. Such adjustments can allow for more equitable use, greater flexibility when working and lower physical effort, and increased space.
Even if you are on a budget, significant improvements can be made to your home with smart minimal changes. These improvements can be enjoyed for years to come. At Euro Design Build, we want to work with you to create the ideal space that provides you and your family maximum comfort, flexibility, and enjoyment. If you feel it is time for a change, trust your gut and give us a call. We would love to help you with your home remodel. Our clients are important to us and we want to help you achieve the safest and most joyful future possible, and it all starts in the home. Call today for your personal one on one complimentary consultation with a trained professional.