It was critical to create a fresh new perspective in this kitchen for a homeowner who was constantly reminded of her late husband whenever she entered the kitchen space. Every time she walked in to the kitchen, her attention went to the many dings and scratched that were created by her late husband’s wheelchair before he passed away as he navigated himself through the kitchen. Guided by her two young kids, it was time for the family to recommit to a new life and new beginnings with a fresh new perspective on the main area of their home and life. The kitchen, where they begin their daily routine was the most important space.
Project goals and objectives:
- Update the kitchen finishes and consider a new color palette to brighten up the space in order to leave the old behind and start new.
- Keep existing cabinets but improve the function and aesthetics of the cabinetry, add more easily accessible storage, organizational systems, especially in the cooktop cabinet.
- Redesign the exhaust system over the cooktop to replace a nonworking Jenn Air downdraft.
- Relocate existing oversized trash drawer from the island which was opposite the dishwasher. The current trash drawer location created an awkward situation when trying to load the dishwasher while trying to clean off food from dinner plates.
- Bring the overall kitchen design to a cleaner and more modern feel that would still work with her existing furnishings and breakfast room furniture.
- Add undercabinet and over cabinet lighting.
- Overcome the necessary improvements without overspending shortly after her husband’s passing.
- Provide empathy for a grieving person to overcome grief and guilt.
- We rebuilt the cooktop cabinet in order to provide the client with the bank of oversized full extensions dove tailed drawers with the top drawer being a shallow drawer to house utensils, a dedicated spice pullout left of the cooktop and right side with a tope drawer and 2 rollouts behind the door.
- Rebuild former microwave cabinet and relocate microwave to lower cabinet left of double ovens to improve the storage of upper cabinet and provide an easier access to a microwave. Add a 12” utensil pullout left of microwave.
- Rebuilt base cabinet with a 90-degree corner to add a blind corner optimizer
- Rebuild Microwave Cabinet
- Relocated the trash drawer to cabinet left of the sink for easier access and added drawers left of the trash drawers.
- We reworked the existing island to have the organizational systems the family really needed
- Replaced all cabinet doors, drawer fronts, dovetailed drawer boxes and BLUM bottom mounted, full extension, soft closed glides.
- Add a Functional Decorative Hood: Overcome the challenge of installing a functional exhaust fan system over a cooktop with a window above it.
- Our team was able to design a hood that was custom built to fit over the existing window, we added a 1200CFM motor, blower and liner and vented the exhaust system to the exterior high enough above the window to properly vent. We had to add specific exterior finish over the window in order to have it look like the window just has window treatment over it. The hood is built in wood and has a metallic painted finish that was a fraction of the cost of a real metal hood.
- Overall Lighting: By changing the color palette in the overall space, we were successful in illuminating the overall space without the necessity of additional recessed cans.
- The Addition of Under/Over Cabinet lighting, we were able to fulfill the need for task and general lighting.
- Bar Wall-finding the right stone that would work with the new color pallet and existing old-world furnishings that the client had chosen to keep. We found that the Paragon split face ledge stone was the ideal unifying material.
- Countertop: Taj Mahal Polished Quartzite
- Backsplash – Adex USA Backsplash tile with Metal Bronze work deco inserts.
- Franke Single bowl Undermount sink
- Cove Dishwasher
- Wolf gas cooktop
- Best Exhaust liner system
We are proud of the final outcome and most importantly, the client has found peace and hope for a new life without the love of her life.