ST. MARKS PLAYROOM
Family Room …
Where families gather to share their life experiences, create new memories and embrace togetherness.
After a comprehensive needs analysis, part of the unique Euro Design Build (EDB) ‘Design Process’, it was determined that the Melendez family required a multi-purpose room in their home that allowed for family fun, entertaining, crafting and a welcoming place for their pets. Deemed the most important room in the home for the Menendez clan, the family room was selected as the most appropriate space to provide for this exciting hub of family activity. The Menendez family needed a special place for their two children, two cats and Mom and Dad to come together on a daily basis to do homework, arts and crafts, play games and watch family movies. It was important to create an independent space for each child, yet a special space where a brother can help his younger sister with her specific needs.
- Create dedicated semi-private work and study/computer station for each child and their unique needs and interest.
- Create a storage repository for school work, craft supplies, a printer and printer supplies.
- Create a dedicated space for shared studies, tutoring, art and crafts and playing games.
- Identify the best location for a 75-inch flat screen television to enjoy family movies and video gaming.
- Create a storage repository for board games as well as audio and video units, a DVD player, select DVDs, video gaming unites and accessories.
- Create an intimate setting for seating/placement of a custom sectional accommodating the entire family while at the same time, not overwhelming the footprint of the newly remodeled space, allowing for traffic flow between adjacent rooms.
- Create a welcoming location within the space for a pet play station.
- Create access to the pet litter box in the garage water closet.
- Limited size of the room in relationship to the project goals.
- Location of the room as it pertains to access and traffic flow between adjacent rooms.
- Doors and doorways related to accessing additional areas of the home.
- No empty walls to create work/play stations, kitty play station and TV.
- Traffic flow in the space posed a challenge when creating the desired work/play stations, and traffic flow. Needed to allow for family member to move freely through the space to access other area of the home.
- Kitty Litter access through a specific wall at an exact location in order to feed into the small water closet in the garage.
- Integration and consistency/match of an existing hardwood floor where a built-in cabinet was previously omitted.
- Lighting of the new space. The designated family room is an interior room within the home, absent of natural light.
- EDB was able to custom design and construct/build a dedicated work station for each child with ample storage for school files, crafts supplies, including a center section where the children were able to work and play with each other while allowing Mom and Dad the space and ability to assist their children with school assignments, etc. The custom work stations allowed other members of the family to enjoy a movie or play a game simultaneously.
- Creation of an entertainment wall complete with 75-inch television mounted on the wall, affording placement of a beautiful and sleek AV cabinet beneath the television, allowing for ample storage of gaming equipment, DVR unit, and cooling system.
- Organization of a dedicated storage closet, reorganized to accommodate all board games, books, etc.
- Placement of a custom L-shaped sectional sofa, affording the entire family with a comfortable location to view movies and enjoy family activities.
- Creation of a carefully disguised/built-in litter box access point through a bottom file drawer that creates a corridor through the framing structure of the wall, into the water closet, on the opposite side of the garage wall.
- Creation of multiple cat play stands, attached to a dedicated location where the family cats can enjoy jumping, playing and lounging.
- Integration of four angled LED recessed lighting modules and installation of LED tape lighting over each work station.
- Installation of interlaced hardwood floor to accommodate area absent of hardwood over the omitted built-in cabinet as well as the refinishing of all hardwood floors within the newly remodeled space.