Beautiful and Spacious Bathroom Remodel in Plano TX
Our objective was to transform this outdated master bathroom in Plano TX from the stone ages into the 21st century. Create much needed storage solutions in a tightly confined vanity space without an option to expand in any direction. Design a shower that would provide enough space to shower large dogs, be aesthetically pleasing, and accommodate the need for privacy in order to overcome a direct view from the master bedroom and main hallway.
Creating the Perfect Bathroom Vanity
One of the core issues with the exisiting bathroom was the existing vanity’s major lack of storage. The new vanity is now optimized for storage – With two 6” pullouts on each side of the vanity space, pullout drawers beneath each sink, and a bank of full extension dovetailed drawers in the center of this light-colored vanity that is now adorned with a beautiful 3CM AJ Brown granite countertop. Additional storage solutions were created when we added the wall for the walk-in shower which now houses a large medicine cabinet on one side and a shampoo niche on the other.
• Vanity cabinet footprint locked in place, with no room to expand, and a major lack of storage
• Plumbing lines for the vanity cabinet ran OUTSIDE of the wall, taking up valuable space inside the cabinet
• Tub plumbing lines routed through the slab foundation to the middle of the space
• “Custom” built tub with tons of concrete and a maze of mini-mosaic tiles required heavy-duty manpower to remove
• Water damage to the exterior and interior walls caused by poorly installed glass block windows and no shower pan
• The closet had a large 80s-style sliding glass framed mirror limiting the space to expand the shower
• Staying within a specific budget was critical due to the recent medical expenses of the homeowner caused by cancer treatment
The Walk-In Shower
By omitting the undersized tub and consolidating the footprint into the new shower, we were able to create a spacious walk-in shower. Walls enclosing the shower now provide privacy, and afford space for a large shampoo niche inside the shower, and an addition of a recessed medicine cabinet. With this, we were able to create multiple solutions and stay within budget by omitting expensive glass enclosure. The addition of a handheld sprayer on a sliding bar with a seat allows the homeowner to bathe her dogs with ease.
A Spacious Walk-In Closet
We redesigned and installed a smaller pocket door into the closet, and with this change, we were able to free up much needed wall space in both the master bathroom and in the closet. New door is disguised as a custom full-length framed mirror which hides the now beautifully organized closet. Additional wall space in the bathroom accommodates the larger walk-in shower and in the closet, affords more valuable space for organization.